Skip to main content

Subcultures



Sqatters, skates, skinheads, punks, hooligans, hippies, rastafarians,..–  these are examples of the names of typically young people, whose lifestyle and priorities are different form others: conformists, uninformed, and consuming “ordinary” people.  Usually they are considered as eccentrics, extremists or anarchists.
Precise definition of subculture has not been formed. This notion was firstly formed at 40s among some social fields of science. Often it concerns one specific category inside the culture. It could be also used within the meaning of counterculture, which means the culture denying some principles and values of dominant culture and is in conflict with it.
The oldest definition of this was formed by Milton Gordon in 1947 and it states that this is a subdivision of national culture, consisting of combination of social situation of components, like class status, ethnic origins, urban or rural settlement, religious identity, which forms some specific combined unity, reinforcing individuals involved.
On the whole, it can be described as a group of people with a culture which differentiates them from the dominant culture (mainstream, traditional) in a society to which they belong.
It is difficult to make a complete list of subcultures. This is kind of phenomenon that change over time and depends on location. Moreover, changes in society and mainstream culture, leads to the disappearance of old subcultures, that become  replaced by new ones.

There are some examples of subcultures:


Gothic culture
The basic factors of gothic culture is: the music (ark, depressing), the look – black clothes, black eyeliner, white faces, glans, long black hair, crucifixes, churches, graveyards.
There is no doubt that the music and its performers were mostly directly responsible for the emergence of gothic culture and its stylistic characteristics.
The most influential and best-know bands form 80s, include: Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cure, The Birthday Party , The Sisters of Mercy, The Mission, The Cult and so on. Gothic songs contain most of the distinctive themes, connected with macabre, death, darkness, etc. What is also characteristic for this music is slow, sombre funereal musical tone and tempo, deep voiced eerie vocals, and twisted form of androgyny in the appearance of the bands and its following.
By the mid-90s the gothic culture had seemingly used up in the media and disappeared from public eye. 








Punk subculture
Punk subculture emerged in 1976, they were consciously working class, scruffy, earthy, dirty in clothing and and language, but at the same time with a sense of parody and steeped in irony. Punk music was heavily influenced by reggae (an alien music that refuse to acknowledge Britishness). Punks used some features from Rastafarian styles: dreadlocks, Ethiopian colors and even a hybrid ‘Punk dub’ appeared in punk rock. Punk bands play a part in the anti-National Front, Rocks against racism campaign.
The whole Punk style was embedded wit anarchy and nihilism. It was a celebration of chaos. The clothing and hair styles were corresponding with the swearing, splitting, vomiting, drugs, and crude and chaotic music. It was a culture that reflected a consumer-based society moving out of affluence into real economic, social, and political crisis. Unlike any previous, the punks attempted to break down the barriers between performers and audiences. Although the style signified chaos at every level it was thoroughly ordered at the same time.



Skinheads
A skinhead is a member of a youth subculture that originated among working class in  the United Kingdom in the 1960s, and then spread to other parts of the world.
There is an interesting view of this the most widespread and the most complex subculture, directed by Daniel Schwaizer: 

a nice document about punk subculture

 Vampire culture
The vampire culture is alternative lifestyle, based on modern perception of vampires in popular fiction. This has stemmed largely from the goth subculture, but also incorporates some elements of the sadomasochism subculture.
The main point is the legend of vampire, which attracts people mostly. Usually they focus on particular fictional representations of vampire(Dracula, Buffy, Anne Rice’s vampire books) or they can create their own material/characters. There are specific webs when they can share their ideas and works. 
Vampire enthusiasts incorporate vampire imagery into their lifestyle and dress. Vampire subculture consists of family-like substructures that were first formed around nightclubs events, now they gather in places known as heavens.

Do you belong to some subculture, or have you been a member of it in the past? In not, which of them is the closest to you or which of them you consider interesting or valuable. State your point.



Comments

  1. I have never belonged to any subculture, but I was in a place where they are mixing. This place was the Woodstock festival in Kostrzyń. I was never seen as the data of various companies. Rastafarians and punks were playing together under the stage, not to mention the fraternal assistance at the campsite.

    It was one of the things that captivated me in Woodstock. People feel responsible for the festival, so the full force there culture. Even the most drunk people were drunk in a positive way. There touted anyone, do not steal, do not vomit around, just coming up to the other, asking for a hug or profess undying love. Do not turn away in disgust, as we normally do on the street. In addition, I did not notice any coarse behavior or verbal abuse, or a serious fight. And I emphasize that in addition to the peace patrol, there was no such protection bodyguardzi men with sticks, expectant moment when they can use them.

    Therefore, I believe that it is only visible subculture division in society. Internally, people are looking for only the understanding and respect, so choose an alternative to the boring,consumer world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'm a part of any subculture. I never tried to join any. But I think subcultures are a great thing becaue they give young people a place a place to belong and express themselves and meet people who think in the same way they do, and like the same things.

    I don't like how subcultures have a very negative image. People always say they are dangerous like cults. For example, you will always hear about how punk people are dirty and criminals, but you will never hear about why they are dressed up weird, or what they are trying to say.

    I also don't like how when a subculture becomes popular it starts appearing everywhere like in the news, and soon it loses the originaliy and inspiration that made it great and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been in subculture. I never have felt need to be in some. In my opinion subcultures are for rebellious teenagers, who don`t know their personality yet.
    If I must choose, I could be in gothic subculture. I felt in love with their clothes! They look really great. I like music which they are listening too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LoL, I been a member of "metalheads". I was during my high school time, i think first and second class. That was mostly combined with music. I couldn't survive one day without "In flames" or "Metallica". Now, when I remeber my black clothes and long hairs, I know that was funny.
    Why young people deserve those groups? Maybe we expect to some interesting people, we want otherness from school and house?
    Personaly I don't like hippies. My friend spend some time in London squot. And from his stories I know they are horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Subcultural phenomenon has always captivated me. I have never belonged to any of subculture, but watching groups of people who stand out is so interesting! Maybe it's the reasons why I became a journalist> Because I like observe people> I don't know, it's possible. I never could understand why some people hurt the other just because they are different. I don't like aggression, so I can't only accept the groups which are aggressive to the other. It's the only exception that I will never tolerate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never belonged to any subculture but I am tolerant towards them. I think that everyone could belong to any group and any organizations if do not harm others. People need to be understand so they happily belong to group and happily show it through their clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never belonged to any subculture. I don’t know, which is closest to me, but I think that gothic clothes can be amazing too.
    I think that most of teenagers belong to some subcultures, because they need to be accepted and respected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have bever belonged to any subculture. I'm tollerant for people who belong to subcultures, but I think, that I don't feel the need to belong to this kinds of groups. I admire people like Goths who are not ashamed of being different, boldly demonstrate their views and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As about 90% of us here, I have never belonged to any subculture. I have always considered it as childish and somewhat funny.

    Dying your hair green or completely cutting it, wearing funny clothes or make-up... not for me.

    I guess it's OK when you are a teenager, but it gets more pathetic as you get older.

    On the other side, I have to admit that each member of the subculture is quite original - so he or she has achieved something we all are looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some time ago I considered myself as a punk person. I wanted to have big number of earrings, incredible hairstyle and many colorful clothes. From that time I have plenty of holes in my ears. But I mentioned that time very funny. I was girlfriend the boy who was a punk. He infected me the punk music and punk wearing. I wanted to look the same as him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never belong to any subculture. However I think that this is an interesting thing. If some people have the same interests or hobbies it is great to have such group of people, with who you can talk and just have fun. They usually have similar looks - clothes, hair colours etc so they don't feel like an outsider.
    I really don't know which subculture is the closest to me. I'm rather an ordinary person.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never been a member of any subculture. When I was small I used to think a lot about it and wanted to belong to some subculture. They have their own way of thinking, interests, hobbies, way of life. They shock ordinary people with their behavior. But I think that they just want to express themselves. I respect and accept subculters and their members, becuase I try to be tolerant and try to understand what these people want to show.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You present mostly very extreme subculture. It sometimes hard to talk with this kind of people. I respect them if they don't break the law so much. However I also laugh at them because same of their ideas are a little bit "out of space". I think most of them are in this kind of groups only to looks original and finish with it after they really grow up. I never had a desire to join to any of this group, but maybe I'm closest to meatalheads.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not a member of any subculture and I've never been one. If I was, it would probably be music related as it is my greatest hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am not a member of any subculture. I used to listen to goth music and I even liked to wear goth's clothes but I have never assimilated to the people. Gothic music was just an inspiration for me.
    I wouldn't class myself as belonging to any subculture. There are some good thoughts in Punk, Rasta or Hippie "philosophy" that are similar to my beliefs. I do not tolerate hooligans or skinheads though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So, generally I have never been in any subculture and I have never thought about it. I don't think any of these groups is close to my world view. These people just need some identity, some group in which they can participate.
    But to be honest, I was a scout for long time. And I think scouting have a lot of subculture's characteristics. That is closed group with specific, visible marks of affiliation and values. Interesting, that anyone called scouting as subculture...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know... I like Art World, but real, truth Art. Subculture is for me kind of art thinking.
    In my mind I belong to Warhol Fabric and I am one of Warhol Super Star. Ordinary life it is not a reality for me, I can't understand that political, commercial World. I need Art and this is my Subculture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Long time ago I was bald, I mean I had some about 2 milemetres hair on my head and I wanted to be raper. I was wearing baggy trousers and XXL t-shirts and obviously I was skateing. I've belonged to one subculture which gave me notion about some things. Now It is funny for me how I looked like but it is past.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never belonged to any subculture. And I am not going to. In my opinion closing yourself in a very specified group may be destructing for your personality. Even if it is "revolting" group, you have to comply with its rules, which very often are extreme in some way (I think that they have to have something "extremal" because if they did not have it they wouldn't be subcultures). It also can make you a narrow-minded person.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think subcultures are very good for teenagers because it gives them feeling that they belong to some specified group. It helps them to understand the world and found their own place in society.

    ReplyDelete
  21. As for me being in any subculture is ok if it's not posing. It's a lot of fun being with people with the same music or esthetic taste. Like with everything in this world there is bad side of this - sometimes you're loosing your own mind to group, taking their thoughts without thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have never belonged to any subculture, I have never belonged to any different small or big groups of young people. I prefer to work alone and in the normal group. I do not know what draws people to pretend vampires. For me it is madness.

    Sometimes I am called a hipster. But I do not agree with this.

    What about positive values in such groups. I do not know what I can say. Meaby this groups imitate family for young people.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never be a member of any subculture. But I’m not against it. I think ,that any membership is good. People like to be a part of something. It is true ,that in some cases subcultures are rebellious and provocative, but I think , that such groups will always exist. What’ s more, such groups are often rejection by society, because of their difference. Personally, I’m not against the subcultures, and I think ,that everyone should express himself by the way he or she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Of course I was in a subculture, like 50% or more of young people I knew.
    I was punk girl but I grew in this because my father was punk and also a drummer in punk bands in 80's and he shaped this subculture with his friends in the time of PRL. After the time I was hanging around with punks, I kept up with skinheads for a short time and then with rudeboys. This time gave me a lot of experiences and self confidence, but now I think it's fun only for a short time.
    When I left the subcultures I felt free, I didn't had to listen to only one kind of music and so on. I'm not against this, I think everyone should taste this, I know people who are still in their subcultures and they are happy, but for now it is not for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single-sex education

A little bit of history Single-sex education was traditional and dominating form of education till 19th century. Almost all schools and universities were single sex, which in almost all cases meant – men’s schools. This situation started to change because of two reasons: emancipation of women (fight for equality) and introduction of massive education. The first mixed-sex boarding school in UK was formed in 1818, it was Scottish Dollar Academy, and in 1878 the first university- University College London, allowed women  to enter on equal terms with men. What is interesting, the first Cambridge collage, which admit men and women was founded only on  1964. Pros and cons The topic of single-sex education is quite controversial. Like always there are pros and cons, some of them are quite irrational, other have a scientific background. The most popular arguments for single-sex education: 1. Boys and girls are learning in the different way, so they need different progr
THE MOST TRUSTED  PROFESSIONS Many people say that their job is important for our society, but is it a trustworthy profession? A market research institute asked people about trustworthy professions. Here you will find its results. The Top Five Most Trusted Professions 1. Firefighters A 2009 poll conducted by market research institute GfK found that firefighters ranked as the most trusted profession in Europe and the United States with 92 percent of respondents fining them trustworthy. Perhaps it’s all in the job description—being required to step into the face of danger every time you head out for an assignment is not just admirable, it’s downright heroic. 2. Teachers In the same GfK poll that lauded firefighters, teachers ranked second with 83 percent. It’s a good sign considering that the people responsible for crafting the minds of our children are deemed trustworthy. “I think every teacher recognizes that they are part of a trusted profession—that parents

Does money spoil people?

Does money spoil people? There is a saying that ‘money spoils people’, which means that people who become rich also start being rude and nasty. Is this true or not? I do not like categorize people, all stories are different. Probably everyone knows someone who is rich and nice person, and someone who is wealthy and horrible…What can determine behaviour of these people? copyright:http://theundercoverrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/money.jpg 1 .     First of all how they got their money. Some people are rich because they won the lottery and some of them because they are genius who made a discovery of new, brilliant solution. There are also ones who are rich because they inherit all wealth from their ancestors… It is not a rule, but I think that people who work hard for everything what they have are more stable and realistic than ones, who don’t need to do anything because they got everything for free (without dedication or hard work). They won’t probably understand