Skip to main content


How to prepare for an English certification exam

Every student on full-time study or evening classes on UW must pass an English certification exam on minimum B2 level. Exam is probably stressful for everyone and you should prepare for it. If you want do that you must know what is the form of exam.



English certification exam contains of 5 test: listening, reading, using of language (grammatical structures and vocabulary), writing and speaking.



Listening test contains of two expressions. It can be social, popular science, current events topic. We listening each text two time and solve task. Exercises are: multiple-choice tasks: questions, statements, finding true, false or lack information moreover  is add to the table. We can obtain 15% of all points.



Reading test contains of two text similar to listening and the topics are the same. Exercises are: multiple-choice tasks, fill the gaps in the text of the sentences given to the selection and set the correct sequence of paragraphs of text. We can obtain 20% of all points.



Using of language test contains of two short text we have to fill the gaps in the text of the form given to the selection, eliminate the wrong word in sentence and fill the gaps in the text without given form. We can obtain 25% of all points.



Writing test is to write your own text. Student have to write a letter up to 100 words and essay up to 150 words. We can obtain 20% of all points.



Speaking test takes 15 minutes in this time student undertake the following tasks: performance role or expressing language functions according to the situation or command, describing the process, expressing opinions on the basis of a short text, picture or diagram, discussion with the examiner, presenting own point of view and arguments. We can obtain 20% of all points.



A detailed description of this exam (unfortunately in Polish) we can find on this page: http://www.certyfikacja.uw.edu.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=57

  

There are some tips how to prepare for an exam and what to do when you write it or do some example.


Listening

Before exam you should:
·         listening a lot in English especially watch a lot of videos in English on youtube

When you write an exam or do some example:
·         carefully read the instructions
·         read all the answers to the tasks so that you'll know about what is text
·         check if the answer you entered to the first hearing record, is confirmed when record is replay
·         give an answer for all questions even if you are not sure
·         do not focus on questions that make you difficulty, you may run out of time for other easy questions

Reading

Before exam you should:
·         read a lot in English: books, newspaper and article in the Internet

When you write an exam or do some example:
·         remember that you don’t need understand all  words in the text to know about what is it
·         note the title
·         read your answer two time
·         pay attention to any references to places, people or things (pronouns) in part to refill. They must match the nouns in the text before and after the gap
·         first do easy exercises

Using of language

The best way to prepare for this part of exam is doing a lot of exercises. You should have same books or use Internet. There is many webpage with exercises for example: http://www.englishexercises.org/

When you write an exam or do some example:
·         read careful ale sentence before fill the gap or eliminate wrong word
·         don’t write more words than requires the instruction
·         write clearly

Writing

Before exam you should:
·         write a lot in English, a good way to do that is Internet, write posts on some English forum or chat with other people

When you write an essay:
·         write an short  outline
·         use paragraphs
·         use diverse vocabulary
·         be careful about grammar
·         read carefully instruction and use official or colloquial language
·         write on topic with is easier for you
·         try don’t cross the limit of words

Speaking

Speaking is the most stressful part of exam for students. The best way to prepare is active participation in classes. We should watch a lot of videos it helps prepare not only for listening. If somebody have friends who speak in English is good to talk with him or if somebody isn’t shy the good way is speaking with somebody from the Internet for example on skype.

When you are on exam:
·         listening your examiner
·         ask examiner about repeat if you don’t understand something
·         try to speak fluently
·         your answers should be expanded

To sum up, if you want prepare good for an English certification exam you should do a lot of exercices and use English language everytime and everywhere you can.

Sources:
http://www.certyfikacja.uw.edu.pl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=57
http://www.certificates4teachers.com/language10.php
http://portalwiedzy.onet.pl/6485,,1,,,,467855,fce.html




Comments

  1. I agree that the best way to improve our skills is to exercise a lot. Using language all the time will help us to become accutsomed to express ourselves in this language without stress. Sometimes we are so nervous because we speak a litlle in English and we have some problems with words. Talking and reading books will help us overcome nervousness. Of course, we should spend some time on preparing to this test. Do some sample tests, some grammar exercises in the book and some reading comprehension. It will help us to be well prepared for this exam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have put here all the tips that can be useful for language learning. I agree with you, that very important to learn English, and also another languages is doing more exercises. Listening a lot of language which we should know, reading very lot and speaking is very important in learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you. The best way to learn foreign language is using it whenever it is possible. We can speak in foreign language with our friend or exchange messages. It is also helpful to read a lot of articles and books and watch movies without dubbing or lector.
    For me personally the most stresfull thing about learning foreign language is speaking. When I am about to speak I feel blocked, I forget words and I make a lot of mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I passed English B2 exam this year and I still remember all of my fears. It was the worst of exams during the latest session because I didn't have enough time to prepare for it. Fortunately I passed for the first time. I was very pleased and... suprised because I didn't believe in my hidden strength and power :) As you mentioned the most stressful part is speaking. I think, I am very lucky person because I spoke with very kind committee even though I was very sleepy after a sleepless night. Today I am working on my BA Thesis and I have to read most publications in English language. I must admit that it is very beneficial for me and my English is improving rapidly

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me the oral exam is also the worst part of it. I remember my Matura exam and I was very stressed and terrified, but I pass it with good mark. I hope in this time will be the same. I totally agree that do some work if we want to succeed. All this tips you written sounds very reasonable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that every student is the most stressed before oral exam not only in English but before every exam e.g. Math. To minimize stress before English exam I think is watch a lot of movies without dubbing and speak a lot to get used to the language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When it comes to learning you should be 2 things: hard-working and very focused on what are you doing. What's more, you should be very lucky too. I can remember many exams on which I was well-prepared but I've left absolutely nothing on paper and opposite - totally unprepared but I've passed well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The exam in the University is similar like matura exam on B2. We must pass writing section, listening section, grama and oral presentation. To be good prepared you should do grammatical exercises, listen news on the net, reading newspapers, websites, blogs, even watch films in English. Moreover, you should exercise your speaking. Good idea is maybe meet with your friend and speak to him or go to the pub with many Erazmus people and there try to speak .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unfortunately, I have to pass certification exam this year. And to be honest I'm stressed about it. I don't feel well-prepared to that. But I hope that more practice will help me. From May I'm planning to start preparation. I would like to read and speak more in English. Most of my problems are connected with speaking, I must improve this element. Maybe practice makes perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me the worst part of the exam is the Speaking too. In Spain I only spoke English at classes, and I didn't have enought fluently so I decided to go abroad for Erasmus to improve my spoken English, and now I can practice it not only with Poles but with a lot of people from other places too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the best way to learn English is watching movies with spoken English. Unfortunately, we don't usually have time for that before exam. Another good idea is doing exams from previous years. As for oral examination, practising with good speaker could be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is no easy way to pass language exam. For those who think like that: good luck, because there is very little chance for you to pass. Besides going to an exam without being prepered makes you very stressed. None should take a risk like that. Study hard is the only way to makes mind at easy when taking an exam. It also would be marvelous if you find studing fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. “if you want prepare good for an English certification exam you should do a lot of exercices and use English language everytime and everywhere you can ” - yeah, that's the best summary of this presentation and all advices. What can I add... “I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat”.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unfortunately I also have to pass this exam this year. I am unhappy with that because I have to do a lot of more important thigs until this year will end. For example a great Latins' exam which is much more difficult and I am learning this language much shorter than english. I also adore that quotation, which was situated by Leperr.

    ReplyDelete
  15. B2 exam is not so hard to pass at all. But it is some difficult to pass with good result. For me oral part was easier. Maybe because I like to watch movies and serials in English and this is really helpful to learn some “live” langue. Also music and computer games are very useful. But for written part there is no shortcut- only hard work brings benefits and true results. By the way really great presentation:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree with you that the best way to learn language i to speak to native or to go abroad for few months. For me the easiest is oral exam. I've always had difficulties with writing my thougths. When I write I always spend too much time deciding which word will be the best. face to face contact is more exciting than "talking" to a piece of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. B2 is a Quite easy exam. For me oral par is easier then test. If you want pass very wall you must learn hard and do exorcise for B2 exam. I think if you want pass well you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Speaking is for me the hardest part of the exam- I don’t like speech, because it is for me stressful.
    I agree with you that the best preparation to the exam is practice- watching, reading and writing in English. When we use some skills in everyday life, we learn easier and faster.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My preparation requires mostly on feeling natural while talking to strangers. Aside of regular crosswords in English and some grammar revisions, right now I try to ask people on the streets and sound as genuine as posible like British tourist.
    Beside that, I once a week make one preparatory test on both B2 and C1 to be on the edge of abilities I have right now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My English is better when practise on Internet. I read a lot of article, I sign up for same e-learning courses and I watch movies with subtitles. I know haw to learn and what I need. I don't worry about oral part I am not so happy about test part about grammar exercise and listening.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My personal advices.

    1. Read in English - I often prefer to use English news sources. If I don't understand the word, I immediately check it in an Internet dictionary. This method had surely improved my vocabulary.

    2. Once, I was reading about interpreters - people who interpret people speeches live. What they did to improve their abilities, was to translate every short message, like road signs, adverts, etc., in their own language, into English.

    3. It was proved that using written subtitles instead of spoken ones, improves English - children in Sweden are the example.

    4. The only thing I was worried about was to talk about the topic I have never thought before, because I simply didn't care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As for me the best way to learn any language is using it. It sounds so simple that you won't believe, but it's true, at lest for me. I learned english pretty well by playing Forgotten Hope II - FPS in which you have to cooperate very close with other players in your team - by voip - voice communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with you, the most important before the language test is practicing.
    It's important to do a lot of egzample test and find someone who will talk with you in english, sometimes Skype with friend from england is the easiest way.
    There are plenty of sites which offers some tests for free and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm still waiting for my certification exam. And to be honest - I'm very nervous! All the time I wonder if I know English at an appropriate level. It seems that the best way is to practice, repetition and read old questions. For now, I'm trying to organize knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think these tips may be useful, but only like a little improvement of skill. It is impossible to prepare for English certification exam in few smart steps. Few years of learning should be more helpful ;]. These tips are just like a little repeat and systematization of knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single-sex education

A little bit of history Single-sex education was traditional and dominating form of education till 19th century. Almost all schools and universities were single sex, which in almost all cases meant – men’s schools. This situation started to change because of two reasons: emancipation of women (fight for equality) and introduction of massive education. The first mixed-sex boarding school in UK was formed in 1818, it was Scottish Dollar Academy, and in 1878 the first university- University College London, allowed women  to enter on equal terms with men. What is interesting, the first Cambridge collage, which admit men and women was founded only on  1964. Pros and cons The topic of single-sex education is quite controversial. Like always there are pros and cons, some of them are quite irrational, other have a scientific background. The most popular arguments for single-sex education: 1. Boys and girls are learning in the different way, so they need different progr
THE MOST TRUSTED  PROFESSIONS Many people say that their job is important for our society, but is it a trustworthy profession? A market research institute asked people about trustworthy professions. Here you will find its results. The Top Five Most Trusted Professions 1. Firefighters A 2009 poll conducted by market research institute GfK found that firefighters ranked as the most trusted profession in Europe and the United States with 92 percent of respondents fining them trustworthy. Perhaps it’s all in the job description—being required to step into the face of danger every time you head out for an assignment is not just admirable, it’s downright heroic. 2. Teachers In the same GfK poll that lauded firefighters, teachers ranked second with 83 percent. It’s a good sign considering that the people responsible for crafting the minds of our children are deemed trustworthy. “I think every teacher recognizes that they are part of a trusted profession—that parents

Does money spoil people?

Does money spoil people? There is a saying that ‘money spoils people’, which means that people who become rich also start being rude and nasty. Is this true or not? I do not like categorize people, all stories are different. Probably everyone knows someone who is rich and nice person, and someone who is wealthy and horrible…What can determine behaviour of these people? copyright:http://theundercoverrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/money.jpg 1 .     First of all how they got their money. Some people are rich because they won the lottery and some of them because they are genius who made a discovery of new, brilliant solution. There are also ones who are rich because they inherit all wealth from their ancestors… It is not a rule, but I think that people who work hard for everything what they have are more stable and realistic than ones, who don’t need to do anything because they got everything for free (without dedication or hard work). They won’t probably understand