Skip to main content

I was stuck in a traffic jam .....again!!!

20 minutes in traffic? One hour in a traffic? Half a day in a traffic? Annoying journey to school, work and from school or work? Constant traffic jams and clogged crossroads ... in a big city that situation is the norm during rush hours. Congested urban streets it's not happy and very frustrating everyday life for many of their inhabitants. Some metropolitan areas cope better with this problem, some worse. What causes traffic jams? What is their impact on our health? Prevent them or learn to live with it? I'll try to answer these few questions.



The causes of traffic jams

Causes of traffic jams are obvious to most people. A huge increase in the number of cars
and a small amount of new roads( especially in Poland)- is the main reason. There are also quite immediate the causes of traffic jams, such as stenosis, repair of roads, accidents, etc..

According to researchers, there are three theories about the causes of the formation of traffic jams. First, the main theory is called "butterfly effect"- very little car traffic disruptions entail more serious, and this sequence of events leads to the creation of a traffic jam.

Another theory of the "unseen waves" says that, when a car in front does something unusual, drivers often respond by hitting the brakes. That in turn makes the next driver brake. Soon, a wave of commuters are flashing red brake lights.  

''The tragedy of the common pasture"- this is third theory, which has roots in the economy. Access to roads are free and unlimited, but with limited capacity. Some drivers, when use the roads, think only about self-interest and then we all suffer as a whole.

Certainly, much depends on the drivers, some behave too aggressively on the road, while others are too timid. The unpredictability of human behavior leads to traffic jams.


Negative impacts

Normally, we do not think about what the consequences to our health and well-being could be stuck in traffic everyday. Experts and doctors warn that the consequences could be serious.
Stucking in traffic jams could be harmful. Increasing blood pressure and heart rate speeds up, which is not associated with a healthy exercise. Prolonged immobilization results in deterioration of ventilation. Added to this also harmful external influences: an increase in gas concentration and the increasing level of noise and vibrations.

Different negative impacts:
-wasting time of motorists and passenger-as a non-productive activity for most people, congestion reduces regional economic health,
-delays, which may result in late arrival for work, meetings, and education,
-wasted fuel increasing air pollution and carbon dioxide emissions,
-Stressed and frustrated motorists
-blocked traffic may interfere with the passage of emergency vehicles traveling to their destinations where they are urgently needed.

What causes a traffic jam???

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suugn-p5C1M&feature=player_embedded


The longest traffic jams in history

1)Beijing, China
On the Beijing-Tibet Expressways just outside of Beijing, drivers were trapped in a 100 km long traffic jam that lasted over 12 days in August of 2010. This traffic jam was caused by a flood of cargo-bearing heavy trucks and compounded by road work.

2) Lyon to Paris, France
According to Guinness World of Records, the longest traffic jam reported in history was 176 km long, spanning from Lyon to Paris on February 16, 1980. The jam occurred on the French Autoroute as a result of highway congestion and poor weather.


3)North of Houston, USA
Traffic congestion of automobiles caused of people fleeing from Houston (Texas) because of Hurricane Rita in 2005. Evacuees used Interstate 45which was an official evacuation route. More than 2.5 million people was trying to evacuate Houston, traffic jams extended up to 160 kilometres long.

4)Sao Paulo, Brazil
In June 2009, Sao Paulo set a new record for bad traffic, 295km of traffic jam accumulated throughout the entire city, meaning over 35% of the city's roads. No matter the day of the week or the time of the day, the city faces severe congestion. Typically, the length of a traffic jam spans to 193 km long at peak hours with drivers spending up to three-to-four hours behind the wheel in traffic each day!!!



Preventing traffic jams

Studies conducted on the occasion of the campaign "Live without traffic" have shown that driving to work and back home, people fromWarsaw lose an average of 1 hour and 44 minutes a day. It isn't a little, especially this time could be used for many other useful activities. Driving to work by car, people in Warsaw spend in a car over 415 hours per year , or until 17 days a year !!!
How can we fight with traffic congestion, what to do to reduce their number? Prevention of traffic jams is manifested primarily through the development of public transport, walking and cycling. Many Western cities implemented special lanes for buses ( Berlin, Warsaw, too:) ). In some cities ( London or Berlin) introduced fees for entry to the center and the "green zone". The easiest way may appear to be expanding current and building new streets. But this isn't always possible. Construction of bypasses is also a good solution, but this involves high costs.
However, there is a good alternative to the car - bike. In the spring and summer and during the warm days of autumn people should use this means of transport. In addition to walking around town, it's the most effective and cheapest way to get to the center and it's very healthy, too.

Certainly, traffic jams aren't fun and have a negative impact on our mood, regardless of whether you are a driver or passenger. Driving skills, driving culture, modern navigation systems can help in solving this problem. What can you do during a traffic jam?When you travel by bus and you're stuck in traffic, you can read a book, learn or listen to your favorite music. And of course people should practice patience. Patience is a skill. Much like playing piano or learning English. You have to practice if you ever want to get good at it. This skill is very important for our mental health.

Do you often get stuck in traffic jams? Do you know other ways to deal with congested roads? Do you think that people in Warsaw will have huge problems with access to school, work during the EURO 2012? 

Sources:
http://www.trans.info/message/view/11520.html
 

Comments

  1. I never thought that there are theories about the formation of traffic jam ;) In Warsaw it also happens, but certainly local traffic jams are not so long like those from Guiness Book of Records. Once I was coming back from English classes over an hour, when normally I am going half an hour. It was terrible! I agree that the traffic jam causes delays, wasting of time, our nervousness and stress. So I hope that there is a way to prevent them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One hour in traffic jam? Gosia, try to imagine my last journey to Prudnik... almost 10 hours in car with no air condition, in horrible heat and with sore spine ;/ Everything because off building our roads before Euro2012. It was great experience to follow a roadroller for about 30 kilometers!
      In Warsaw I stuck in traffic jams if I need to be earlier. If only I have to be on time, there is always such problem. Especially before lectures with mgr K. (PMP ;d).

      Delete
  2. In Warsaw, traffic jams are always, especially in the morning when everybody try to go to work.. We waste our time for it but it's just one thing what we could do - predict it and get with us from home for example good book;) Btw. I never heard about so many theories about traffic jam;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont stuck in traffic jams in Warsaw as a driver but as a passenger quite often. It is very annoying!! Especially when i am in a hurry because I am going to my classes. In the future I wont use car to go to work, I will go by bus.
    I have no idea how the transport will look like during Euro 2012. I hope it wont have any influence upon going to school or to work. Recently whene there was some match on the National stadium and I couldnt got home...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I became nervous when I got stuck in traffic for an hour but stand in a traffic for 12 days like in China, it had to be terrible!!! In Warsaw traffic jams are in the morning and afternoon when everyone returns from work. We waste our time in traffic jams, we should find some alternative transportation which reduces traffic congestion in the city, it could be underground, tram and in the summer we can arrive on bike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's why I prefer trams than buses. Maybe they are slower, but not get stuck in traffic jams. And I think that yes, we will have a huge problems with traffics during euro. A lot of tourists, a lot of students, a lot of people everywhere. And closed Marszałkowska street. Hooror

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like I said in my previous comment in a traffic jam people can do a lot of different things. Women can correct their make-up or gossip about handsome men. Men can shout and honk at others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my God! the pictures are really terrifying! I think that in Poland traffic jam are not so scaring. First of all, I didn't know that there are theories about formating traffic jam. Secondly, I hate traffic jams because it's waste of time. It also can bring about bad consequences for our health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, from very scientific view, traffic jams can be created by any driver who makes something unusual on the street. You can read about the Japanese scientists' project: http://www.motiontown-go.com/japonski-eksperyment/
    They concluded that one driver can cause a big traffic jam on the street.
    On the other hand, I can't simply believe that Warsaw's city council can't do anything to avoid traffic jams on Prymasa Tysiaclecia street. Everyday when I travel that street to the school I have to waste my time for staying in the traffic jams... That can be annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Traffic jams are terrible. Especially if you have a long way and in addition we are in an endless traffic jam.
    My dad has a map on which are marked larger roads in the country where the most traffic jams occur and not once happened that through it we managed to avoid them or at the right time to change the route.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think everybody hates traffic jams, because we can't predict how many times we need to get to the university or work.
    To be honest, I really don't stuck in traffic jam very often, because I travel by train.
    What about Euro 2012?
    I hope that Warsaw government can manage with great challenge of organization EURO 2012. I saw many posters with instructions "how we can travel in Warsaw during the EURO 2012". So I am sure that we can better or worse manage with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A completely different perspective on traffic jams than in the previous presentation. It's very interesting. I get angry, when I stuck in a traffic jam, but I know that in Russia or China situation is much worse than in Poland. I think the best alternative for cars and buses is subway or bicycle / motorbike / scooter. Unfortunately, in Poland we have only one line of the underground and under-developed bicycle paths. As for Euro 2012, now are the problems of getting around Warsaw ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a driving licence, but I hate traffic james as a passenger. Traffic jams are very often in big cities. Is such as big cities we have a choice because usually public transport is developed very good, so we can avoid traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have a driving licence, but I hate traffic james as a passenger. Traffic jams are very often in big cities. Is such as big cities we have a choice because usually public transport is developed very good, so we can avoid traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is small quantum of solace that not only people in Poland suffer from traffic jams and in other countries are even worse situation. In relation to theories which explain jams i would add one. Stupidity and indolence of officials also could reson. I think this situation concerns especially to Poland and in future when amount of cars is still increasing problem will be bigger and bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Traffic jams are a regular affair. People who are moving on the roads should be used to it. Drivers should not be nervous, but everything calmly wait. Therefore driver - calm down and go slow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't imagine being stuck in a traffic jam for 12 days... A horror! I don't have my own car so I don't have many problems with traffic jams. Sometimes it happens to me when I'm in the bus, but not very often because during rush hours I usually try to move by underground or trams. I think that during EURO 2012 people will have many problems with moving around the city. Especially in the surroundings of stadiums, where will be a lot of people, some streets will be closed. I'm happy that my city is not responsible for EURO and for sure in these days I will be in Warsaw as rarely as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a driving licence so I hate traffic james! I come from Łowicz - it is a small town, where we can meet traffic james very rarely. However I live in Warsaw today and I must travel to school every day. It was horrible when I was trawelind by bus and I must stuck in a traffic jam a lot of time. Atfer I decided travel by metro, so I am avoid this kind of situations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am wondering, why governments are unable to predict where traffics will occur and why they don't fight off. Is it really so hard, to just look at the city's map and count how many lanes goes to the centre of the city and how many is needed? And how we should modify public transport, to make it more effective?
    I know, that building net roads is expensive, but we pay taxes in order to solve problems like this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Again, I don't have a driving licence so i don't drive a car and I can't say nothing about that. But still I find this post very interesting even if it was very long and I'm pretty tired but I have to admit I enjoyed reading it:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a driving licence, so I was many times in traffic jam;p I usually listen to music or look what do other people. Sometimes it is funy;)
    EURO 2012 in Warsaw will be awful for driver. Police is planning a few main street when match will be taken part.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Plugs are the bane of modern cities. The number of cars that run on the streets is appalling. Car is no longer a luxury, affordable for the large proportion of the population. This generates traffic jams. As seen in the U.S. the number of roads does not help. In my opinion, the only alternative to traffic congestion in the city is by public transport. Tram, bus and metro the best discharge plugs. This can be seen in European cities that have set on them. This speeds up the transport and is good for nature.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a driving licence but I don't use car because I don't want waste time in traffic jam. In my opinion public transport in Warsaw is very well develop so in my opinion more drivers should stop traveling by car. Greatly reduced by the traffic jams in Warsaw. Euro 2012 in Poland will terrible time for driver so i think that worth buying a bike at the this time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very often I travel by car in Warsaw. I have to move between north and south part of the city. We travel often in a rush hours.
    Generaly in a rush hours there are traffic jams in the streets and I am almost sure that during EURO 2012 there will be terible traffic in whole city. In my opinion the best solution will be for us to take a lot of CD music. I love listening to the music while we are travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I need to admit, when I'm searching for a flat, my first motivation is distance to University or Work. I became nervous when I got stuck in traffic for an hour but stand in a traffic for 12 days like in China? WHAT!!! I'm out of my mind.
    In Warsaw traffic jams are in the morning and afternoon when everyone move to/from work. I alwayes making something during those traffics. I prefer to read some notes for classes. What can we do to reduce intensity of traffic jams? We should invest in underground, or just choose public transport when we can. Why not bike during a summer?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single-sex education

A little bit of history Single-sex education was traditional and dominating form of education till 19th century. Almost all schools and universities were single sex, which in almost all cases meant – men’s schools. This situation started to change because of two reasons: emancipation of women (fight for equality) and introduction of massive education. The first mixed-sex boarding school in UK was formed in 1818, it was Scottish Dollar Academy, and in 1878 the first university- University College London, allowed women  to enter on equal terms with men. What is interesting, the first Cambridge collage, which admit men and women was founded only on  1964. Pros and cons The topic of single-sex education is quite controversial. Like always there are pros and cons, some of them are quite irrational, other have a scientific background. The most popular arguments for single-sex education: 1. Boys and girls are learning in the different way, so they need different progr
THE MOST TRUSTED  PROFESSIONS Many people say that their job is important for our society, but is it a trustworthy profession? A market research institute asked people about trustworthy professions. Here you will find its results. The Top Five Most Trusted Professions 1. Firefighters A 2009 poll conducted by market research institute GfK found that firefighters ranked as the most trusted profession in Europe and the United States with 92 percent of respondents fining them trustworthy. Perhaps it’s all in the job description—being required to step into the face of danger every time you head out for an assignment is not just admirable, it’s downright heroic. 2. Teachers In the same GfK poll that lauded firefighters, teachers ranked second with 83 percent. It’s a good sign considering that the people responsible for crafting the minds of our children are deemed trustworthy. “I think every teacher recognizes that they are part of a trusted profession—that parents

Does money spoil people?

Does money spoil people? There is a saying that ‘money spoils people’, which means that people who become rich also start being rude and nasty. Is this true or not? I do not like categorize people, all stories are different. Probably everyone knows someone who is rich and nice person, and someone who is wealthy and horrible…What can determine behaviour of these people? copyright:http://theundercoverrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/money.jpg 1 .     First of all how they got their money. Some people are rich because they won the lottery and some of them because they are genius who made a discovery of new, brilliant solution. There are also ones who are rich because they inherit all wealth from their ancestors… It is not a rule, but I think that people who work hard for everything what they have are more stable and realistic than ones, who don’t need to do anything because they got everything for free (without dedication or hard work). They won’t probably understand