Skip to main content

What makes us happy?

The feeling of happiness we experience is nothing more than a chemical reaction taking place inside our bodies. Serotonin is often called the “hormone of happiness” and is produced in the medulla oblongata in moments of ecstasy. Its level increases during the euphoria and decreases during the depression. Serotonin regulates the mood, dreaming and appetite, and even prevents depression. Serotonin can be released by getting exposed to sunlight, by eating food rich in carbohydrates and by exercising. Endorphins can make you feel good, reduce your anxiety and your sensitivity to pain. Endorphins are released mostly by exercising. Dopamine helps you feel mentally alert. The lack of it might cause the lack of attention, the lack of concentration and bad moods. Dopamine can be released by eating food that is rich in proteins.


All people want to be happy so what can we do? Here is a couple of advice how to increase your hormones of happiness.

Exercise! Sport is not only important for our health. People don’t understand that exercises make us feel good. Every physical activity can increase the level of endorphins in organism. Yoga and Pilates help to get rid of muscle tone.



The sun and good weather make us happy. The sunlight increases the level of hormones of happiness. That’s why we should spend free time outside and use the sun and fresh air. Contact with nature can be extremely relaxing! The best combination is sports in the fresh air: you can ride a bike, go jogging or running, practice Nordic walking or even skating.
Eat! Food is another important thing. You should consume food containing tryptophan, for example soy, turkey meat, fish, spinach, tofu, vegetables and fruits. Also vitamins like B3, B6, C, magnesium and zinc influence our mood. An interesting thing is that when spicy food causes a burning sensation in the mouth then the secretion of hormones of happiness can work against pain.



Fall in love! Huge amounts of endorphins are produced by cells of lovers. In addition, these hormones are maintained at a constant high level for a very long time. A person who we love doesn’t even have to be close to us! It’s enough at least to think about our lover. Face smiling from ear to ear causes endorphins gallop through the bloodstream.



Another thing that makes us happy is meeting with people. In relationships everyone feels to be needed. Thanks to meeting with friends we don’t have enough time for boredom or thinking about our problems. During a meeting we laugh a lot and we have fun. Fanny jokes, great comedy or even normal tickle- the more laughter we have the more hormones of happiness are produced!

Chocolate! One of the best ways to increase your hormone of happiness! It’s tasty, cheap, widely available. When we eat sweets our brain gets information that something good is just happening, that’s why after having eaten chocolate the level of serotonin is getting higher. The good information is that eating chocolate is not only a pleasure, but it is also good for our health. Regular chocolate consumption reduces the risk of heart disease. Don’t worry, you can eat as much chocolate as you want because you can’t be addicted to it! There is no evidence that chocolate has addictive substances.



There are as many ways to become happy as many people in the world. Everybody has things which he loves. For some people it can be music. They are happy when they are listening to music, taking part in concerts, playing instruments or even talking about it. Watching movies is another thing which makes people feel good. Some people prefer comedies, love stories or action movies and others for instance ambitious movies. Last, but not least travelling is a reason of happiness. During a travel we forget about our troubles, we meet new interesting people, we have o lot of free time and we do things which we love. What makes you happy? What do you like doing when you have free time?

Sources:
http://topmedics.info/hormone-of-happiness
http://www.2knowmyself.com/Hormones_that_make_you_happy
http://www.ofeminin.pl/dolegliwosci-choroby/zimowa-depresja-objawy-leczenie-poziom-serotoniny-d10864x36542.html
http://www.takdlazdrowia.pl/lektura-na-zdrowie/1010-endorfiny
http://www.charaktery.eu/artykuly/Psychologia-dla-Ciebie/1135/Tabliczka-przyjemności/1/
http://www.fit.pl/g/str/image/owoce.jpg
http://swiatdiety.pl/images/stories/czekolada%20na%20diecie. jpg
http://swiat-obrazkow.pl/obrazy/3/326/serce_z_dloni.jpg
http://jogakonstancin.pl/userfiles/image/czytelnia/art_1_joga_sposob_na_lepsze_zycie/JogaArt1.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_K6fOelRz_oY/TRxrBu_kvlI/AAAAAAAAAsI/wJs-qtXpWr4/u.jpeg

Comments

  1. I have never thought about happiness as a chemical process... it's really interesting ;)

    There are so many things that make us happy. The sun is one from this things for me :) When the weather is nice and the sun is shining immediately I have a better mood. Chocolate, tasty food, travel, music, books... these things also cause joy. And the most important. Feelings. Friendship, love, trust, faith... Without them we will never be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of things what make us happy. The most popular are sweets like a chocolate or ice creams and pleasures which not require to do anything. However, some people prefer physical activity to be happy and others are happy in their reletionships with people. The main goal of human life is being happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The improvement of humor are definitely good sweets.
    When I have a bad mood I like to exercise. Humor also improve conversations with my friends and "stupid" movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate always makes my humor better, but food also because I love eating. When I am sad, the best solution to change it is a conversation with my firends. However I think that sometimes nothing can change our bad mood, only time can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring, chocolate, tea, good tea and free day - it makes me happy every time. Och, but maybe it will be better for me if I prefer doing exercise instead of eating and lying...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm! chocolate.. it definitely makes me happy!- joke. Of course there are other things that make me happy.
    There are so many of them...
    Because I don't have a lot of free time, most happy makes me time only for me. I love this feeling when I'm doing only things which I want to do, not which I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chocolate and strawberries makes my humor better, chocolate doesn't have vitamins like fruits but from time to time will not hurt the taste.:) what is more i also like when i am frustrated and nervous do same exercise, for me the best way is playing tennis, it can improve my mood. Sport is very important for our healthy and after exercising we feel physical much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course there are a lot of things which make us happy. For everyone it can be something different. I'm happy when I can meet with my friends and do what I want to do at the moment. It is also good to do some exercises, to be active because than you are more optimistic and you feel better. And sunshine... then world is much more beautiful and people are much happier!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What makes me happy?
    Play volleyball makes me really happy. I love all kind of sport and I always meet very different people from that surroundings what is great. Moreover what makes me happier, good concerts, fantastic trips with friends and just traveling. I enjoy read books, eat my favourite dishes and when I indulge yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got a few kinds of these things. The first one is travelling. I love it. It's for me way to take a relax, deep 'breath' and load a new energy to new activities. The second way to make me happier is cooking. (You could try my raffaello ;]) Preparing good food is sometimes not easy. I love to cook, because then I run my fantasy. Combine flavors, try new ways. Cooking is also stressful, especially when something isn't working. However it gives me really big happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are a lot of things which make me happy:)for instance meeting with my friends,eating the chocolate,taking part in parties,reading,sport. Each of us should find something what could give the happiness. Happiness depends on our positive attitude. There is a lot of steps to a happy life. We just have to discover them:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What make me happy? First of all family, friends, health, but not only. When I'm depressd I can eat, eat and eat for example chocolate, potato crisps or sometimes fruits. I'm happy when day is beautifull, when I getting flowers or when Sun shine. I think, that we should be happy not only in very imortant things but in usual too. Carpe Diem!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enstein said: ,,The happy man is too pleased with the present time in order to devote oneself too much to contemplations for futures". I would see eye to eye with him. We can be happy here and now. It seem to be too hedonist, but I think, that happinees can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Food and eating chocolate always improves my mood, but I think that happiness is more than 'improvers of humor'. Happiness is a state of mind and sense of accomplishment. I think the key is to find their passion and their place on earth. It is also important what kind of people we surround ourselves. A positive attitude and goal in life are a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that only other people make ous happy! I also like eat chocolate, but it is rather only kind of pleasure, which not change our mind and mood and not replace conversation with another people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sport, free time, good music, chocolate, friends, no stress, no obligation - these are things, which make me happy for a while. Unfortunately to the full happiness I need something deeper, but I still look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. First of all this things not only make me happy but also give me a lot of pleaure which is relly nice feeling. I can agree with every above-mentioned way of happiness. I love exercise and sunbath, so brazilian culture is really close to me. This is the next activity which make me happy - traveling and I'd like to go to Brazil :)
    Food is also plasure for the palate which is the next step to fall in love because according to the dictum "the way a man's heart is through his stomach".

    ReplyDelete
  19. The joy for me is good music on cloudy days, the cup of hot chocolate in winter mornings and evenings, it is a picnic in the summer and cycling in the spring.

    I love summer rain, and aware that on Saturday I sleep longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found my best way to be happy a few years ago, in secondary school. It is sport and every time when I feel bad or sick I simply go jogging. Sport stimulates organism to produce endorfines, so that we are happier then.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Karting and sport are for me the best way to reduce stress and to get a addictve good feeling. After race or training i feel exausted but fulfilled. When I beat my high score or when I crossed my tensile strenth I feel perfectly and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Most of methods to be happy that You have described are mostly symptomatic. I prefer being happy by solving problem that is being an underlying cause of my foul mood. But can be helpful if there are no underlying causes, can't argue with that :P
    I spend most of my free time pondering and reading about nature. It gives me understanding and sense that I am making myself better. Every solved problem, no matter what it is (raging from axioms of field theory to 'who ate my candy?') what makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't have much free time, but I always try to explore every moment. There are may things that I love to do. One of my favorite is reading fantasy books. I can spend a lot of time for doing this, especially for reading T. Goodkind's books. He is a great author and often make me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's good to know that what I should do to make me feel better. I will do more exercises and eat described food. But about love I think that often love aggrreving people not make them happy.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We have many factors which makes us happy. I find happiness in my normal life. When I've back from studies and work and in home is waiting my fiancée, and she smile when I've back home - thats make me happy. When I can give her hug or kiss. I find happines in non-normal situations - I'm cosplaying Star Wars as Qui-gon Jinn with my best friends. That makes me happy and I'm doing it in my free time :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single-sex education

A little bit of history Single-sex education was traditional and dominating form of education till 19th century. Almost all schools and universities were single sex, which in almost all cases meant – men’s schools. This situation started to change because of two reasons: emancipation of women (fight for equality) and introduction of massive education. The first mixed-sex boarding school in UK was formed in 1818, it was Scottish Dollar Academy, and in 1878 the first university- University College London, allowed women  to enter on equal terms with men. What is interesting, the first Cambridge collage, which admit men and women was founded only on  1964. Pros and cons The topic of single-sex education is quite controversial. Like always there are pros and cons, some of them are quite irrational, other have a scientific background. The most popular arguments for single-sex education: 1. Boys and girls are learning in the different way, so they need different progr
THE MOST TRUSTED  PROFESSIONS Many people say that their job is important for our society, but is it a trustworthy profession? A market research institute asked people about trustworthy professions. Here you will find its results. The Top Five Most Trusted Professions 1. Firefighters A 2009 poll conducted by market research institute GfK found that firefighters ranked as the most trusted profession in Europe and the United States with 92 percent of respondents fining them trustworthy. Perhaps it’s all in the job description—being required to step into the face of danger every time you head out for an assignment is not just admirable, it’s downright heroic. 2. Teachers In the same GfK poll that lauded firefighters, teachers ranked second with 83 percent. It’s a good sign considering that the people responsible for crafting the minds of our children are deemed trustworthy. “I think every teacher recognizes that they are part of a trusted profession—that parents

Does money spoil people?

Does money spoil people? There is a saying that ‘money spoils people’, which means that people who become rich also start being rude and nasty. Is this true or not? I do not like categorize people, all stories are different. Probably everyone knows someone who is rich and nice person, and someone who is wealthy and horrible…What can determine behaviour of these people? copyright:http://theundercoverrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/money.jpg 1 .     First of all how they got their money. Some people are rich because they won the lottery and some of them because they are genius who made a discovery of new, brilliant solution. There are also ones who are rich because they inherit all wealth from their ancestors… It is not a rule, but I think that people who work hard for everything what they have are more stable and realistic than ones, who don’t need to do anything because they got everything for free (without dedication or hard work). They won’t probably understand