Skip to main content

Folk medicine

Folk medicine – different types of natural medicine


People have been using natural medicine since their first steps. There were always some curious group trying to discover the way how to heal on their own. They were invariably high in the social pyramid next to the king.

Nowadays we hardly practice an acient medicine. However our grandmothers still remember how the past generations helped their neighbours by using natural components. Every culture has own natural medicine. For centuries people have discovered new and different ways how to help. The method of cure depends on available components and geographical location. 
Let’s focus on some examples:



1. The Ebers Papyrus from Egypt – this ancient text includes many interesting recipes. Like this one:

- If they had asthma they made an inhalation of steaming herbs.
- For contraception they used wool which was soaked in a paste of dates, acacia and honey.
- Marvellous cure for death was half the onion and beer foam.





2. In Russia still you may find many surprising methods of healing as....

- For rheumatism people use special decoction - the root of the warrior. It contains aconite and vodka. They rub their body this substance- especially painful place.

- In case of flu they come into the very cold water for exactly 1 minute. (No longer no less!) Then they put on woollen clothes and keep walking very fast around the room for 15 minutes. After this activity they should go sleep. If they broke the rules, illness wouldn't be cured.

- Well-known Russian star Ivan the Terrible used to practise folk medicine. For his rheumatism he went into a swarm of bees. Apparently bee venom is discovered to be a good for sight, heart pressure, lungs diseases and many others.





3. In Africa, where people still live in peace with nature ,there are many interesting ways to improve health. The best example which came to my mind is baobab. This enormous tree grown up in the savanna. 
Its fruits which are named ' monkee's bread' are the best solution for many causes. People in Africa use it in case of problems with: a stomach, flu or anemia. Inhabitants of black continent make juice from monkey bread or they nibble it. 

























4. In our country to my mind, we have many examples of folk medicine too. And here are some of them:

- For cold people sometimes use syrup with onion and sugar or honey. If you want you can add to this garlic.
- For throat pain and cough can be use hot milk with butter and honey.





What do you think about natural medicine? 
Do you use natural medicine?
Do you know some interesting examples?








https://hipokrates2012.wordpress.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebers_Papyrus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adansonia
http://vod.tvp.pl/audycje/podroze/boso-przez-swiat/wideo/sawanna/38220

http://www.mprzepisy.pl/zdrowie/syrop-z-cebuli.html
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pszczo%C5%82a
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baobab

Comments

  1. I think that natural medicine can be helpful in healing unserious diseases such as cold. It can be also good supplement of traditional treatment. As a child, when suffering from cold, I used to drink syrup with onion and sugar. I also heard that onion extract, rubbed into skin can reduce scars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natural medicine can be very useful. It can reduce some annoying diseases symptoms and also strengthen our organisms but it is not very good in serious diseases, as Marta said. I drink water with honey and lemon juice for a cold, and also when I'm sick I try to add more garlic to my food because it has great antibacterial properties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have similar opinion on natural medicine as Katarzyna, it is very useful only at unserious disease like flu. It is a good addition to the drugs that the doctor prescribes, when we are sick. My grandmother always used natural medicine. She did elderberry syrup for colds or birch juice for stomach ailments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you natural medicine is quite useful. Indeed, it was a beginning of today's modern medicine. When I had problems with my throat, I used to gargle it using different kinds of natural mixtures.
    I heard about syrup with beetroots - it helps to win the fight against cough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that natural medicine is useful kind of treatment but only when someone catches unserious diseases. I always drink raspberries juice and use more garlic when I feel sick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with all your opinions. It’s true that folk medicine works, because it was probably being tested during the ages, but fortunately nowadays we have more effective medicines for serious problems than piece of baobab. When I have a cold I usually eat garlic, take syrup with onion and honey or drink infusion of linden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like natural medicine. I think that people should remember about that, because sometimes it curing better than today's' medicine. Unfortunately with a civilisation we are forgetting about old medicine.
    I am using natural medicine. If I start feel bad or cold I am eating garlic (cut) with water and lemon. And I drink it.This is the best antibiotic and almost always cures. And some herbal extract - it really can help for some skin lesions or for headache.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that folk medicine is a great alternative to conventional medicine. I also in the case of a cold often use honey or a clove of garlic. I know that many herbs have good influence for our body too. For example nettle improves the health of the skin and hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my opinion, folk medicine isn't bad option for feel better in case of cold. There are a lot of natural vitamins which can help us, like: onion, garlic or honey and vitamin C in lemon or wild rose juice, some herbs and more. I often drink wild rose juice when I feel badly or in flu season and I must say - It work :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a big fan of a natural medicine, I really like the fun facts on the medical properties of various herbs. I often use a mind on the stomach problems or yeast mask in case of problems with the complexion. I think that they're really effective, but they can not replace medicines prescribed by a doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use natural medicine in necessary of flu or somethink light cough, sometimes when I have little complexion problems I put soda on my face and it helps. I'm not the fan of this solution but I try to use medicines only when I it's really necessary. For examle when I have high body temperature, i think ntural herbs or sth are too light to helps in such problems. Natural solutions are good for body because they don't have huge influence of our immune system.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I use folk medicine and I think it really works but some of the methods are ridiculous. When I have a sore throat I eat toasts with butter and garlic, because it is a natural antibiotic, syrup with onion and honey really helps with cough, and hot water with honey and leon juice helps to moisten throat. I don't understand people who claim that putting a fish into shoe helps with rheumatism but everyone has their own methods.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Single-sex education

A little bit of history Single-sex education was traditional and dominating form of education till 19th century. Almost all schools and universities were single sex, which in almost all cases meant – men’s schools. This situation started to change because of two reasons: emancipation of women (fight for equality) and introduction of massive education. The first mixed-sex boarding school in UK was formed in 1818, it was Scottish Dollar Academy, and in 1878 the first university- University College London, allowed women  to enter on equal terms with men. What is interesting, the first Cambridge collage, which admit men and women was founded only on  1964. Pros and cons The topic of single-sex education is quite controversial. Like always there are pros and cons, some of them are quite irrational, other have a scientific background. The most popular arguments for single-sex education: 1. Boys and girls are learning in the different way, so they need different progr
THE MOST TRUSTED  PROFESSIONS Many people say that their job is important for our society, but is it a trustworthy profession? A market research institute asked people about trustworthy professions. Here you will find its results. The Top Five Most Trusted Professions 1. Firefighters A 2009 poll conducted by market research institute GfK found that firefighters ranked as the most trusted profession in Europe and the United States with 92 percent of respondents fining them trustworthy. Perhaps it’s all in the job description—being required to step into the face of danger every time you head out for an assignment is not just admirable, it’s downright heroic. 2. Teachers In the same GfK poll that lauded firefighters, teachers ranked second with 83 percent. It’s a good sign considering that the people responsible for crafting the minds of our children are deemed trustworthy. “I think every teacher recognizes that they are part of a trusted profession—that parents

Does money spoil people?

Does money spoil people? There is a saying that ‘money spoils people’, which means that people who become rich also start being rude and nasty. Is this true or not? I do not like categorize people, all stories are different. Probably everyone knows someone who is rich and nice person, and someone who is wealthy and horrible…What can determine behaviour of these people? copyright:http://theundercoverrecruiter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/money.jpg 1 .     First of all how they got their money. Some people are rich because they won the lottery and some of them because they are genius who made a discovery of new, brilliant solution. There are also ones who are rich because they inherit all wealth from their ancestors… It is not a rule, but I think that people who work hard for everything what they have are more stable and realistic than ones, who don’t need to do anything because they got everything for free (without dedication or hard work). They won’t probably understand